Onhealthmeup.com - Rooibos, 'Aspalathus linearis', has long been eaten as a fruity and mild flavored drink in the locals of South Africa. Also known as the African rooibos tea, rooibos is commonly grown in the Western Cape Province of the country. The recent discovery of the plant's high antioxidant and polyphenolic contents have resulted to the rapid popularity in the Western world as people are now seeking to obtain health benefits of Red Rooibos tea. Its mild flavor is already used as a component in many herbal tea blends sold in the market these days.
Rooibos is an African word which means red bush. It is a flowering shrub that is common vegetation in the Cedarberg mountain region in the Western Cape located 250 kilometers north of Capetown. It is an erect plant that is probably about 5 feet in height and has reddish-brown stems and bright green needle-like leaves. The shrub is also a legume and its roots are abundant in nitrogen-fixing bacteria which makes it tolerate the acidic and poor nutrient soils of the Cedarberg region.
Rooibos tea contains no additives, preservatives and artificial coloring which make it a healthy beverage option. The tea is believed to aid in alleviating health problems like irritability, insomnia, headaches, hypertension and anxiety attacks. There are also several studies which showed that the tea contains antispasmodic agents that can help relieve gastric pains and infant colic. In South Africa, the tea has already been used as an effective treatment for hay fever, asthma, and eczema.
Red Rooibos Tea Nutrition Facts
Red rooibos tea has no oxalic acid and therefore, it can be consumed by people who have kidney stones. Rooibos tea is rich in many minerals such as iron, calcium, potassium, copper, manganese, zinc, magnesium, and alpha hydroxy acid. It also contains antioxidants like aspalathin and nothofagin and extremely potent and versatile phenolic compounds.
Health Benefits Of Red Rooibos Tea
Here are some of the major health benefits of Red Rooibos Tea:
- It has polyphenols that are considered to have antiviral, anti-inflammatory and antimutagenic attributes.
- Rooibos tea is rich in magnesium, calcium and fluoride minerals that can help in building improving bone structure and stronger teeth. It can also help fight tooth decay.
- A very nice feature about Rooibos tea is that it is caffeine free! It is also highly recommended by physicians to people who are suffering from insomnia.
- The tea is also great for people who have kidney stone problems because it doesn't contain oxalic acid.
- Red Rooibos tea also contains alpha-hydroxyl acid and zinc which are very good for your skin. You can even apply red tea powder directly on your skin to cure pimples, acne, and sunburns.
- The tea is rich in antispasmodic agents ideal for the treatment of stomach cramps and abdominal pains.
- Red Rooibos tea can also relieve nervous tensions, stress and other hypertensive conditions.
- The tea is said to contain rare nutrients like quercetin and bioflavonoid. These components are used for maintaining a healthy blood circulation and helps in preventing hemorrhagic reactions.
- The antioxidants present in the tea help fight aging and helps boost the human body's immune system.
These are just some of the health benefits of the Red Rooibos Tea. You can enjoy it when its either hot or cold (like an iced tea). You can also purchase a Red Rooibos tea that is enriched with a powerful herb called Ganoderma lucidum for the ultimate healthy tea option!
Caution: Despite all of these health benefits of rooibos tea, there can be a downside for some people. Since rooibos is so powerful, it can interfere with treatments for various conditions, including chemotherapy for cancer patients. Also, rooibos has shown estrogenic activities in certain studies so it might not be a good idea to use if you have hormone-sensitive cancer like breast cancer. Finally, if you have any existing kidney or liver conditions, rooibos might be more harmful than helpful. It should be used as a preventive measure for these conditions, not as a cure. Make sure you speak to your doctor before adding any new dietary elements or beverages to your normal routine, particularly something as powerful as rooibos tea!